Thanks to Patty at Tales of Me and the Husband for giving me this Liebster award! This is how it works:
Here's 11 facts about myself:
1. I grew up in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia in a town with a population of less than 5,000. The college I attended had three times as many students as my hometown had people.
2. My parents had a Golden Retriever dog when I was little.
3. My favorite color has always been purple, which my elegant grandmother for some reason considered to be almost scandalous.
4. I graduated from the University of Virginia undergrad and the University of Virginia Law School, which makes me a Double Hoo. Hoo is short for Wahoo, a kind of fish that is the school's mascot.
5. The only place where I NEVER wanted to live and work was New York City. The only place where I got a job after law school was New York City.
6. Two months after starting to date my husband-to-be, I moved to Japan for six months. We courted via daily emails.
7. My husband and I planned to spend our honeymoon in Spain and Israel, but we got marooned in Paris for the weekend due to technical difficulties with the airline. We didn't mind it so much.
8. I converted to the Catholic Church in 1999.
9. My favorite music is Gregorian chant and Renaissance polyphony.
10. Before getting married, I considered having two or maybe three children. My husband wanted around four kids. Now we have six.
11. Our family doesn't have any dogs, cats, or gerbils, but we have turtles, toads, and lizards. We also have a lot of fish. None of them are Wahoos (see fact #4, above).
Here's my answers to Patty's questions:
1. Favorite saint and why -- St. Therese of Lisieux, because her relics went on display at St. Patrick's Cathedral in Manhattan and so many people visited that we couldn't even fit inside the cathedral. We walked around and around the city block singing Marian hymns. I fell in love with the love that people had for her.
2. Why you started blogging -- To see who'd be interested in the book I was writing based on Blessed Pope John Paul II's teachings on marriage and family. Then, the blog took on a life of its own!
3. Name something you have always wanted to learn -- How to make clever small talk
4. 1 place you want to travel to that you've never been and why -- Hong Kong, because one of my friends invited me to visit when I was in college and I never did. I've been kicking myself ever since.
5. When you have some money, favorite store to shop and splurge at -- Splurging is not really my thing, but there's a new clothing store called C. Wonder that always makes me drool.
6. Best book you have ever read and why -- Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It's a great wunderkind, sci-fi story.
7. 3 questions you want to ask Jesus someday when you meet him in Heaven -- Why, why, why.
- 8. Favorite Disney of all
time -- Mary Poppins. The song Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious can't be beat. I once wrote a series of stories starring the Supercalifragilistic Kid, who was a super kid from California made from fragile plastic.
9. What animal best describes your personality and why -- A horse, because I like to run fast but sometimes need someone to guide me down the right path.
10. Favorite blog to follow and why -- Held by His Pierced Hands -- Amazing writing, amazing insights.
11. Biggest lesson you have learned in life so far -- Trust God even when it hurts.
My Nominees:Okay, here's the really fun part. Introducing you to all the cool blogs that I recently discovered! Each one is worth a visit. (My apologies if your blog has more than 200 followers or has already been nominated.) Drumroll, please...
1. Not a minx, a moron, or a parasite at http://notaminx.blogspot.com
2. Catholic Cookie Jar at http://catholiccookiejar.blogspot.com
3. Captive the Heart at http://captivetheheart.blogspot.com
4. Messy Wife, Blessed Life at www.messywife.com
5. First Friday Fast at http://firstfridayfast.blogspot.com
6. Contemplative Homeschool at http://contemplativehomeschool.wordpress.com
7. Restless Until I Rest in Thee at http://agnes1990.blogspot.com
8. Life on Fire at www.lifeonfire.org
9. God's Love is So Amazing at http://icorinthiansxiii.blogspot.com
My Questions for the Nominees:My questions for the nominees are the same as the ones I asked myself, namely,
1. Where did you grow up?
2. Did you have a pet when you were little?
3. What's your favorite color?
4. What was your school's mascot?
5. Where was your first big move?
6. What's one of your favorite memories from when you and your beloved were just dating?
7. Where did you go on your honeymoon or where would you like to go?
8. What's your religion? Are you a convert, a revert, a cradle Catholic?
9. What's your favorite music?
10. How many children do you have or would you like to have?
11. Do you have any pets now?
To all the nominees, hope you have fun with this. Happy blogging!